Thursday, June 12, 2014

(Super Simple) Coffee Swirl Chocolate Cake


































It's been so long since I've baked anything. I guess I've been pretty busy lately, but really my lack of kitchen time is mostly due to my impatience with my tiny kitchen. If I'm going to make something, I'd rather it be quick and easy. I absolutely cannot wait to move out of this apartment and finally have a kitchen that will inspire me to cook and bake, but for now, I'll just get by with things like this super simple coffee swirl chocolate cake!






























I had a box cake mix and some frosting in my cupboard and I was in the mood to get a little more creative with it. I'm so happy with the results! And so was everyone else- it's only been a day and the cake was devoured. If you're looking to whip up something different and delicious, consider this "recipe"!

You will need:

  • box of chocolate cake mix (preferably one that calls for at least a cup of water)
  • ingredients for the cake mix (eggs, vegetable oil)
  • container of white/vanilla frosting
  • freshly brewed coffee
  • instant coffee grounds

Steps:
  1. Read the ingredients list for your cake mix and replace the water with freshly brewed coffee, then add whatever else it calls for.
  2. Bake the cake!
  3. Add a few drops of warm water to about a teaspoon of instant coffee to dissolve the grounds. Pour into the frosting and mix well. Add more to taste.
  4. Set about a tablespoon of the coffee frosting aside and add more instant coffee to it for an even stronger flavor. 
  5. Frost the cake with the majority of your frosting, then use a butter knife to swirl in the stronger flavored bit and create a marbled design. 
  6. Garnish with loose instant coffee grounds on the top of the cake if you're a coffee lover. (I added extra to my slice!) 




1 comment

Thanks so much for your comments! :)